dallas-header

Melrose School was an educational, cultural, and civic center of the Orange Mound African-American community. Completed in the New Deal's Public Works Administration in 1938, the Dallas building structure added to the original Rosenwald School's capacity to accommodate students in grades 1–12. The first senior class graduated in 1946. Well-known for its academic programs, theater, and sports, the Park-Dallas school closed in 1979. The building was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on May 2, 2001.

  • dallasbuildingBuilt for $137,000 with 24 classrooms, offices, library, health clinic, and other rooms. Park Avenue and Melrose merged the same year.
  • Park Avenue Building built in the early 1940s.
  • Stadium built in 1948 for $217,000.
  • Auditorium built between 1963-1964.
  • Melrose Elementary eliminated elementary grades in 1965.
  • Last class to graduate from the Park and Dallas School – 1972
  • Deadrick-Haynes building built between 1972-1973.
  • First graduating class from Deadrick/Haynes – 1973
  • Graces 7-8 removed in 1995.

 

YOUR MUSIC PLAYER

music-player3